Anderson County Government • 100 North Main Street • Clinton, TN 37726 • 865-457-5400

Building and Codes Director
Marjorie Pressley

Contact Info: 100 N Main Street, Room 127 | Clinton, TN 37716-3617
865-457-5244 | Fax: 865-457-6245 |
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Building and Codes Enforcement Department is responsible for building code enforcement, zoning and environmental code enforcement, and issuing vender’s permits. The department is responsible for the supervision of all construction projects undertaken in non annexed parts of the county and when needed, presents testimony before the County Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals.

Building Permit processing can take up to 3 days.

Inspections must be scheduled 24 hours in advance.

Process for Obtaining a Building Permit:

  • Complete the appropriate application. You will find the required documents at the bottom of the form.
  • Provide us with a signed site plat showing the location of the project on your property including the distance it is to the property lines.
  • For some permits, you will need two sets of plans.
    • The plans can be hand drawn and they do not need to be to scale. But, they must include all of the needed dimensions and details. (Sample building plan)
    • Structures with a foundation need a framing detail, a floor plan, and a foundation plan.
    • Foundation plans are needed for double wides as well (Sample double wide pier layout).
    • Provide a floor plan for a mobile home. It can be hand drawn but must include dimensions.
  • For mobile homes, new homes, bedroom additions or any addition of bathrooms etc. provide a septic tank layout from the health department (865) 425-8777.
  • Provide an E-911 address certification for mobile homes and new homes, etc (865)-463-8160.
  • If plumbing is being installed provide an affidavit
  • You can then bring the application and the required forms to Room 127 of the Anderson County Courthouse.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. How can I find out how a property is zoned?
A. Anderson County has a public web site where you can search for and view zoning and other property information. Anderson County Property Search Application.

Q. Can I view the zoning resolution for Anderson County?
A. Yes it’s available for viewing at our office or you can download it and view it at your convenience.

Q. How do I find out the status of my building permit application?
A. You may contact Building Inspection, General Information Line at 865-457-6244, or visit Room 127 at 100 North Main Street, Clinton, TN 37716

Q. For what do I need a building permit?
Building permits are required for any and all structures that are over 100 square feet or cost $1000 or greater.

Q. For what do I NOT need a building permit?

  • Sidewalks and driveways.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  • Swings and other playground equipment.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Decks not exceeding 100 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
  • (This may not be a complete list. If you are unsure about your project, please call first. 865-457-6244)

Q. How long is my building permit valid?
A. The permit is normal valid for 180 days from the date it was issued or from the last inspection. An extension can be obtained by calling 865-457-6244, or visiting Room 127 at 100 North Main Street, Clinton, TN 37716.

Q. How do I find out if my neighbors have a permit to perform construction work or file a complaint about illegal construction?
A. You may call 865-457-6244, or visit Room 127 at 100 North Main Street, Clinton, TN 37716